Want To Make A Birthday Cake For Your dog?
Just like you your dog would love a little treat on their birthday. And what better way to go about it than making him or her something special – like a birthday cake for dogs. It’s no secret – our canine friends appreciate something nice to get their taste buds raving. Don’t they always hang around the ktichen!
Putting together an easy homemade dog birthday cake isn’t that much of a hassle.
Read on to find out all you need to know about dog cakes.
Why Not Just Use A Regular Cake Recipe?
This is a question that has probably gone through your mind a few times. Why does a birthday cake for dogs even exist?
Human cake is just bad news for your dog that you adore so much and treat like a part of the family. It’s all about the ingredients. The frosting on almost all cakes contains milk, butter, and cream – in amounts that are detrimental to your dog.
Vomiting and diarrhea are some of the things you’ll have to put with if your canine friend ingestes these. Other equally harmful cake ingredients, some of which are toxic to dogs, include:
- Macadamia nuts
That means you need a dog-friendly cake recipe for a safe birthday treat for your dog.
Check out our Dog Birthday Cake recipes below – there are options for everyone!
Simple Dog Birthday Cake Recipes:
There are a ton of recipes which are suitable for dogs – just check your pantry items for ingredients and you should get going in no time. Here are a few you from around the net you can try out.
Meat lover’s Cake – a birthday cake suitable for dogs without peanut butter
Your dog will always appreciate a bit of meat coming its way. So why not get creative with this meat lover’s cake on its birthday?
- An egg
- A large grated carrot
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ cup cooked brown rice (barley will also do)
- ¼ cup cream cheese
How to prepare
After preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and greasing the cake pan,
- Cook the bacon to crispy. Allow the grease to drain by placing it on a paper towel.
- Mix your ingredients in a bowl. Ideally, you start by crushing the bacon and then adding the others. Stir the mix thoroughly using a spoon.
- Press the mix neatly into the greased pan and bake it for 45 minutes.
- Once out of the oven allow it to cool and invert it over a plate.
- After it has cooled, “ice” it with cheese and give your dog one hell of a treat.
Coconut Honey Doggie Cake
For this simple treat that your dog will love, you’ll need:
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons melted refined coconut oil
- And some yogurt for frosting
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and set aside two greased ramekins.
- Mix the ingredients and stir them well until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide your batter into the two ramekins and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let your cakes cool, frost with yogurt, and serve.
Sweet Apple Cake
To make a sweet apple cake for your dog’s birthday you’ll need:
- ¼ cup wheat flour
- An egg
- A finely diced apple (with the skin on)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ cup cream cheese
As usual, you’ll have to preheat the oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit and make sure your pan is ready by greasing it. And now to the actual procedure:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl thoroughly. Make sure the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Transfer the batter to your greased pan and bake it for 15 minutes. You can also test to see if the cake is ready by sticking a toothpick in the center. The toothpick should come out clean when the cake is ready.
- Allow the cake some time to cool and ice it with some cheese. Let your dog enjoy his special day.
Try A No-Bake Dog Cake
Turns out you can make an easy dog cake without even having to touch the oven. The frozen peanut butter banana pupcakes and pumpkin peanut butter puppy cake are great options to go for. They’re so yummy we’d eat them ourselves!
Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Pupcakes
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mini and regular muffin tins
- A ripe banana
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- Blend all the ingredients until they’re smooth. You can keep adding water until the ingredients are completely blended.
- Transfer the mixture into the muffin tins and freeze till solid.
- Remove for the freezer and allow a few minutes for thawing. Your cake is ready to serve. No oven no problem.
These cakes are great for a hot day if you leave them frozen!
Pumpkin Peanut Butter Puppy Cake
This is another great no-bake puppy birthday cake.
- 1 ½ cup dry dog food
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree (mashed potatoes/sweet potato will also do)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons liver sprinkles
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- Mix the dry dog food, pumpkin puree, and peanut butter in a food processor
- Pulse until it’s crumby and sticks together
- Press into a 10 cm spring form mini cake pan and chill until it is firm and ready. Gentle remove from the pan for serving.
- Add water to powdered sugar to make the icing. You can also decorate your dog’s treat with liver sprinkles. You leave out the sugar icing if you prefer for your dog not to have the sugar but every once in a while it will be OK.
Looking For A Puppy Birthday Cake?
Aside from the above two easy dog birthday treats, you can use this basic dog cake recipe to make puppy-friendly dessert.
- An egg
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup carob chips
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease your cake pan and set aside.
- Mix the egg, bananas, and honey. Add water to the mixture.
- Now add the flour, oats, and baking powder and stir thoroughly.
- Transfer the batter to your cake pan and sprinkle the carob chips on top. Using a fork, mix the chips and batter making sure the carob is just slightly visible on the surface.
- Bake your cake for an hour. After this time, keep checking the cake with a toothpick until it is cooked – it might take up to 15 minutes more depending on your oven.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before moving it over to a rack for more cooling.
- Prepare your frosting by mixing peanut butter and honey.
- When your cake is completely cooled, apply the frosting and let your furry friend dig in.
Dog Cake Recipes for Sensitive Stomachs
If your German Shepherd has a sensitive tummy, you can still whip up something delightful for him. But you’ll have to be careful with the ingredients. Here are two recipes to follow:
Healthy Birthday Cake for Dogs
- 1 large carrot – grated
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Two ripe bananas
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ½ all-natural peanut butter
For the frosting, you can use
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ peanut butter
- Preheat the oven and grease your pan.
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix bananas, peanut butter, and coconut oil.
- Add eggs and mix again thoroughly.
- Add oat flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Continue mixing as you slowly pour in oat milk.
- Add shredded carrot.
- Transfer the mix to your greased pan and bake for 40-45 minutes and allow another 10 minutes for cooling.
- For frosting, use a hand mixer to combine the yogurt and peanut butter to form a fluffy mix.
- Apply the frosting to the cake after it has cooled. Time for your canine to dig in.
Peanut Butter Apple Dog Cake
Here’s what you’ll need for this simple, quick and easy cake perfect for your dog
- An apple
- Peanut butter
- An egg
- Baking powder
To prepare your cake, follow the steps below:
- Preheat the oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease your pan and set aside.
- Mix measured amounts of the ingredients – ideally, you’ll need half of a finely chopped apple, 3 tablespoons of peanut butter, one egg, and ½ teaspoon of baking powder.
- Stir the mixture until it’s smooth
- Fill your pan with the mixture above
- Allow it to bake for 20 minutes and wait for some time to cool.
How Long Will a Dog Cake Last?
A typical birthday cake for dogs will last 3-4 days as long as you keep it in the fridge. Especially important for those non baked cakes.
If you want you could make smaller cakes and freeze – or put into muffin tins and cases. That way every day can be a special day !