Serving size: 1 roll
Preparation time: 35 minutes
½ ounce brown rice, organic
1 whole sheet nori (seaweed)
1 strip cucumber
2 slices raw frozen salmon, defrosted
Makisu (bamboo mat for rolling a sushi roll)
1. Cook the rice in water (without salt) for approx. 30 minutes until soft. Drain.
2. Put the nori sheet with its shiny side facing down on center of the makisu.
3. Wet your hands and spread the rice in a thin layer on top of the nori and press down. Leave ½ inch without rice on the top of the nori sheet.
4. Arrange the cucumber and salmon in a line down the center of the rice.
5. Lift the end of the mat, roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently. Lift the mat a little bit and roll it forward to make a complete roll.
6. Remove sushi roll from the bamboo mat and cut with a sharp knife into 8 pieces. Wet the knife with a drop of water after each cut.
Brown rice can help dogs reduce several health risks like obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease and some cancers. It is a great source of insoluble fiber and is rich in manganese, magnesium and selenium. Antioxidants promote weight loss.
Nori (seaweed) is high in protein, vitamins C, E and all B’s, minerals like zinc and copper and also contains some sterols and chlorophyll. It has beneficial effects on fat metabolism and immune function. Choose a variety of nori low in sodium for your dog. They love it also by itself as a snack.
Cucumbers are good for the dogs’ liver and kidney and also helps to reduce bad doggy breath. They contain silica which helps with joint health.
Salmon is high in protein and omega 3 fatty acids and is good for your dogs’ brain, in particular in puppies. Make sure you use a previously frozen salmon to avoid possible parasites or bacteria.